Vikings and police representatives at Griffin’s home for mental health screening

Vikings and police representatives at Griffin’s home for mental health screening

Eagan, Minnesota. — The Minnesota Vikings sent home defensive end Iverson Griffin Wednesday to work with police to guide him through another troubling mental health condition as the 12-year-old refused to move out of his home.

Griffin, who took time off from the team in 2018 for mental health treatment, posted on Instagram early morning screenshots of text messages to his agent, Brian Murphy, in which he said he needed help and people were trying to kill him. He also posted a video that showed him holding a gun that he said was purchased legally. These posts have since been deleted.

The Vikings said they had representatives at Griffen’s house along with team mental health professionals throughout the morning in cooperation with law enforcement in Minnetrista, the Minneapolis suburb where Griffen and his family live.

“Our only concern at this time is the safety and well-being of Iverson and his family,” the Vikings said in their statement.


Speaking at the start of his regular press conference on Wednesday, coach Mike Zimmer said he couldn’t provide much information. When asked if Griffin is safe, Zimmer said he didn’t know.

As for whether Griffin will play on Sunday when the Vikings face the San Francisco 49ers, Zimmer said, “No, that’s really not our concern right now. It’s really about him.”

Minnetrista Police, in a press release, said officers responded to a 911 call at 3 a.m. from Griffin’s home. On the 911 call, Griffin said there were intruders in the house and he fired a shot, but no one was hurt.

When the police arrived, no intruder was found. Police said they were confident Griffin was alone at home and that they were continuing to work with him to resolve the situation.

Griffen, a three-time Pro Bowl pick, missed five games in 2018 as he was dealing with his mental health.


According to police at the time, Griffin had made comments about people trying to kill him. He was involved in a commotion the day before a match at a local hotel, and later showed up shirtless at his Trae Waynes teammate’s house. Griffin was taken to the hospital, but jumped out of the ambulance at some point before the police brought him back.

Griffin has not been arrested or suspected of any crimes, but he has undergone a mental health evaluation. He then went on team-assisted leave, came back later in the season and finished with 5 sacks in 11 games.


AP Pro football writer Dave Campbell contributed to this report.


More AP NFL coverage: and

Copyright 2021 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *