Libya’s interim prime minister aspires to the presidency despite the rules
Cairo – Libya’s interim prime minister submitted an application on Sunday to run for president despite being barred from elections next month under current rules.
Prime Minister Abdel Hamid Dabaiba is supposed to lead the country until the winner is announced after the December 24 presidential election. He is the latest high-profile candidate to come out in the race. He submitted his application a day before the November 22 deadline. It remains unclear whether the country’s election commission will accept his candidacy.
Dabaiba is barred from running under current Libyan election laws. He promised that he would not run for office on the vote as a condition of taking up his role as caretaker earlier this year. To be eligible, he would also need to suspend himself from his governmental duties at least three months before the polling date, which he did not.
Steps from the Electoral Commission office in Tripoli, Dabaiba told reporters he felt responsible for the continued reconstruction of the country torn by years of civil war.
And despite all the attendant difficulties and ambiguous circumstances that accompanied the election journey, I invite you never to lose hope, for it has become clear and clear. “The beginning of the right path,” he said in a press conference held after presenting his papers.
The vote faces increasing uncertainty. Libya has been in chaos since a NATO-backed uprising toppled late dictator Muammar Gaddafi in 2011. The country has been divided for years between authorities in the east and the UN-backed administration in Tripoli, aided by neighboring militias. Each side in the civil war also had the support of mercenaries and foreign forces from Turkey, Russia, Syria, and other regional powers.
Earlier this month, several controversial candidates came forward, including Saif al-Islam, Gaddafi’s son and former heir. Powerful military commander Khalifa Haftar, who has besieged the capital, Tripoli for nearly a year, is also running in 2019.
Dabaiba, a powerful businessman from the western city of Misurata, was appointed during UN-led talks in April to lead the executive branch of the interim government that also included a three-member presidential council headed by Mohamed Yunus Menfi, a Libyan diplomat from the Arab Republic of Egypt. east of the country. Before taking office, he signed a pledge not to run for office in the next election.
His government was supposed to replace the rival administrations centered in the east and west that had ruled Libya for years. But it has also faced significant hurdles, including the reunification of the country’s central banking system and the equal distribution of revenue from the country’s oil and gas production.
His appointment to the premiership was confirmed despite allegations of corruption at meetings of the 75-member UN-chosen and appointed Political Dialogue Forum. Dabaiba then denied the allegations and called on the United Nations to reveal the results of its investigations.
Last week, Dabaiba told a youth gathering that he would submit his name for president if that was what the people wanted.
Copyright 2021 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.